Thursday, August 30, 2012

Painted threads and fabric

 Two of us got together again for a dye day. I had found these linen napkins when I cleaned out a drawer and knew I would never use them as napkins. They are so nice to stitch on, so now I have a range of colors for future stitcheries.
Here are the threads I did. These colors are more intense, because I washed the thread first. Isn't it amazing how we don't tranfer knowledge? The fabrics I dye are either prepared for dyeing or I wash them. Never thought about the fact that the thread should be too. Also, some of the crochet "cotton" from my mother's stash is actually polyester.

2 comments:

Miriam Weaver said...

Amazing I've never thought of washing threads before dying them either, good tip! Thank you.

Gina said...

Good observation about not trabsferring our knowledge. When I got back into dyeing I thought I would use the threads I had used to tie my fabrics, totally forgetting that I had not washed those threads.

Beautiful threads and fabrics (napkins). And I like all the pieces you've been creating for your classes.