Monday, August 29, 2011

Journal Quilt

Today is Journal quilt day for the challenge for www.3creativestudios.com   This was a piece of white satin that I used transfer paints on to create the leaves. With transfer paints, you use fabrics with a high percentage of polyester. I painted papers with the paints, let them dry then laid real leaves on the fabric to act as a resist. After placing the painted papers on top, I ironed the piece to transfer the colors.

It is machine embroidered to make the leaves stand out-it was a faint print. I used a Pigma pen to make dots along the edges and the veins to add dimension. It's edged by zigzagging a yarn to the edge.

I'm glad Hurricane Irene is past for our friends on the east coast and hope it isn't too long before things are better. Every place seems to have challenges weatherwise, but I don't think I'd like to be in a Hurricane.  We are pretty lucky here on the West Coast of the US.

1 comment:

Cate Rose said...

Awesome quilt, Sandy. Really lovely!