Friday, March 5, 2010

Wall Hanging

Several years ago I decided to make a hanging on wool yardage I'd felted in the washer and dryer. First I put Misty Fuse on the background, then long triangles of blue green fabrics in a radiating pattern. Talk about ugly. It sat for at least a year with me thinking I should just throw it out.

I thought maybe it needed a flower and sewed down petals shapes in pink netting-didn't show enough. Maybe Lame would work-bond it to a synthetic. That sat for months. Then I straight stitched petals shapes and used a metallic pen along the stitching to help with the possible fraying.Those were stitched down in two layers. The center was beaded-not even too hard with all the layers and fusible.

Finally, the edging. Traditional binding would be too thick in the wool and look wrong in cotton. I had the lumpy yarn in my stash and used two rows of it zigzagged to the edge. That works.

The piece was a difficult birthing but I think worth the pains.

7 comments:

Deborah Levy said...

It's beautiful Sandy!

Vicki W said...

Very nice! Aren't you goad you finished it?

Anonymous said...

Sandy this is beautiful!

Terri said...

Ugly duckling!!! HA! I love it and am inspired, would like to do a lotus, similar. Love the shiney purple!

Linda’s Textiles said...

This is fabulous Sandy - well worth the wait to finish it.

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

It turned out great! well worth the wait and work.

unnur said...

I really love this.The colors are great! I can imagine how pretty it is in person with the light shining on it!