Several years ago I decided to make a hanging on wool yardage I'd felted in the washer and dryer. First I put Misty Fuse on the background, then long triangles of blue green fabrics in a radiating pattern. Talk about ugly. It sat for at least a year with me thinking I should just throw it out.
I thought maybe it needed a flower and sewed down petals shapes in pink netting-didn't show enough. Maybe Lame would work-bond it to a synthetic. That sat for months. Then I straight stitched petals shapes and used a metallic pen along the stitching to help with the possible fraying.Those were stitched down in two layers. The center was beaded-not even too hard with all the layers and fusible.
Finally, the edging. Traditional binding would be too thick in the wool and look wrong in cotton. I had the lumpy yarn in my stash and used two rows of it zigzagged to the edge. That works.
The piece was a difficult birthing but I think worth the pains.