Look at the beautiful roving a friend gave me. I'll use it as one of my backgrounds for the Bead Journal Project.We went to a bead store, and here are the additions to my stash. I have lots of seed beads, so I try to find other sizes and shapes.Next to Craft Warehouse where they were having their pearls on sale-great colors and styles. We ended up with lunch and then went in our opposite directions to get home before too much traffic. Nice day.
Friday, March 26, 2010
One of the ladies at quilt group had been to a bead show and bought us each a necklace. It matched my outfit perfectly, so I put it on immediately. Mine is actually violet, but the computer refused to show the real color no matter how I tried to manipulate it.I've just finished knitting a chemo cap. I knit at night when my mind is tired and doesn't create. The caps I do between other projects. The fur kind my son's Mother-in-law liked, because they give fullness and the illusion of bangs. Hopefully, now of you need one, but if you do, let me know.
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
This week Sharonb at http://www.pintangle.com/ introduced us to the Portuguese Border Stitch. It's worked on a foundation row of straight stitches and goes wherever you take those stitches. First I worked it traditionally, then curved it and used different colors for the two sides. Next I tried it in a circle to create a flower shape. Then I did just one half of the stitching reversing sides in the middle. I like the curved one best. The technique of the month is painted lace at http://www.threecreativestudios.com/ It's bonded to Tintex to create a piece stiff enough for a cuff which I'm now working on. I used Dynaflow paints and like the effect. I was ambitious and have lots of it left to make a book.
Monday, March 22, 2010
Here's the next quilt block I'm using with the motif from Friday's post. By stretching it, the look changed completely. The fabrics are a commercial batik and cotton.I'm taking a Whisper Felting class at Electric Quilt University and learned to dye roving with food color and vinegar. All the food color I had in the cupboard was 2 bottles of red plus dried up green and yellow. Putting water in the green and yellow gave me enough dye to make it work. It was fun and safe for the heat setting in the microwave, since food products were what I used. When it is first washed out, it looks like matted dog hair, but after carding, it is nice.
Friday, March 19, 2010
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
I've been doing the stitches that Sharonb has had on her blog http://www.pintangle.com/ She posts a new one each Tuesday. The first is last week's and is Loop Stitch.This one is Beaded Hebedo Edge. I did it in quite a small scale but didn't have any trouble.
Monday, March 15, 2010
This time the challenge word was communications. There is very little direct communication anymore. Most involves a device that has a circuit board, so here is my circuits. The photos were taken by my husband of a board he built for his train set. I transferred them to fabric and fused them to a background.To cover the edges I used antique ribbon to recall the time when we actually talked face to face. Ultrasuede shapes convey the idea to and and nan gates-used in designing circuits. Hanging from below the photos are parts from a circuit board.
I can't fault having that kind of communication-without it I wouldn't have all my cyber friends. Thanks to everyone who reads my blogs and those who take the time to comment. Visit http://fiberactions.blogspot.com/ to see other examples.
Friday, March 12, 2010
Here is March for the Bead Journal Project. The background is felted rovings on felted wool. Then I machined the circles. I had the glass circle and was deciding what to do to accent it, when I spilled the beads accidentally. They fell into the stitched circles and looked like that was where they belong, so that's where I put them.The glass circle is attached with a heavy metallic thread, then the center was filled with beads.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Monday, March 8, 2010
Vicki at http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/ has been posting directions for a quilt using a large print as a focus fabric. I had a nice floral and decided to use that. The number of blocks I cut and framed was determined by the amount of fabric I had. I think it will be a cheerful quilt.
Friday, March 5, 2010
Several years ago I decided to make a hanging on wool yardage I'd felted in the washer and dryer. First I put Misty Fuse on the background, then long triangles of blue green fabrics in a radiating pattern. Talk about ugly. It sat for at least a year with me thinking I should just throw it out.
I thought maybe it needed a flower and sewed down petals shapes in pink netting-didn't show enough. Maybe Lame would work-bond it to a synthetic. That sat for months. Then I straight stitched petals shapes and used a metallic pen along the stitching to help with the possible fraying.Those were stitched down in two layers. The center was beaded-not even too hard with all the layers and fusible.
Finally, the edging. Traditional binding would be too thick in the wool and look wrong in cotton. I had the lumpy yarn in my stash and used two rows of it zigzagged to the edge. That works.
The piece was a difficult birthing but I think worth the pains.