Monday, March 22, 2010

Quilt, Felt

Here's the next quilt block I'm using with the motif from Friday's post. By stretching it, the look changed completely. The fabrics are a commercial batik and cotton.I'm taking a Whisper Felting class at Electric Quilt University and learned to dye roving with food color and vinegar. All the food color I had in the cupboard was 2 bottles of red plus dried up green and yellow. Putting water in the green and yellow gave me enough dye to make it work. It was fun and safe for the heat setting in the microwave, since food products were what I used. When it is first washed out, it looks like matted dog hair, but after carding, it is nice.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Funny you mention 'looks like matted dog hair' as I've been experimenting with felting my dogs' fur. It will never look this good though!