Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Animals

                        The Saga of the Strange Rooster

I looked out the window Monday afternoon to see a red chicken coming out of the woods and trying to get into our garden where our chickens were scratching in the dirt for bugs. I did a head count to make sure ours were all there. Yes, 12 hens and the rooster. Then I went around to check on this new one.

A Rhode Island Red Rooster that looked like a young one. I have no idea where he came from as the closest 3 houses don't have chickens and are at least 1/4 mile away. We corralled him and opened the gate, so he ran in. Ours let him feed and even go in the chicken yard for a drink, but they wouldn't let him roost with them.

The next day I found him outside the fence again trying to get in and opened the gate for him again. It's so much easier with our chickens who aren't afraid of me and let me just pick them up. Poor thing kept just throwing himself against the fence to get in. Chickens aren't the smartest of animals but so much fun to watch-they are just like in the cartoons.


Last night he wouldn't go in the chicken yard but went on the roof instead and then up on the shed roof. We have to close them in at night because of coyotes, hawks, owls, bobcats, and such that love good, fat chickens. This morning he's in the garden, so he's still OK. I hope he adjusts to our flock, but I do have a possible home for him, if no one else claims him.

I'm including the photos of our chickens. The rooster is a Plymouth Rock. There are 5 Buff Orpingtons-the golden ones-5 Rhode Island Reds, and 2 Sex Links. They are all big hens and good egg layers.

5 comments:

Cate Rose said...

interesting story. hope the group takes him in, and I'm glad you have a home for him if he doesn't.

McIrish Annie said...

I don't know a thing about chickens or roosters but will the other rooster let him stay if the chickens don't mind? Keep us posted.

liniecat said...

I would love to have chooks and find them such likeable little characters. I hope your brood allow him to stay but I also wondered if the rooster would tolerate another chap in around his ladies lol
What an intrigueing story...!

Anonymous said...

I hope the group adjusts and lets him stay.

Gina said...

Let us know if you discover where and how he came to your place, and also if he finally fits in or he goes on to new home. Thanks for sharing photos of your chickens!