Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Take A Stitch Tuesday, Sunprints

Waved Chain is this week's stitch from Sharonb at http://www.pintangle/. It's easy and makes a nice irregular filling.
Barbara asked about how to do sunprints. Setacolor is a paint that react/develops in the sun. I put a fat quarter of fabric on a portable plastic covered board. It can be sprayed with water, but I just wet it before putting it down on the plastic. The Setacolor is diluted with some water and painted on the fabric. Objects are placed on top. Anywhere there is an object, the paint dries lighter leaving an impression of the object. On the one above, I wanted to see what would happen if I put empty glass jars on the fabric. The fabric wasn't on a board in this case-just the lumpy ground. This is one section showing what happens. You can see where the bottom of the bottle was, and the rays where the sun passed through it as the sun moved and the fabric dried. I like the effect. Another use for the recycling stuff.
On this one I just picked up handfuls of gravel from our driveway and dropped them on the fabric. There was dried grass in the gravel too.I cut off the dried leaves from the Daylilies and dropped them randomly on the wet fabric. Sunprinting is a lot of fun. This year there hasn't been a lot of sun, so I'm out there every time it shines.

5 comments:

Cate Rose said...

I especially like what the gravel does on fabric!

Anonymous said...

that one with the bottle on it is very cool Sandy, what a great idea!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Sunprints are great, but people need to remember to only use the transparent ones. Ask me how I know? LOL!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Transparent Setacolour paints I meant!!!

Raphaela said...

Your sunprints are so beautiful. Love them.