Monday, January 2, 2012

Experiment

Here are some more samples of fabric I rusted. When I first tried years ago when the concept was new to fiberart, I didn't have much luck.

Thanks to the internet, I found a way to do it that works for me. The fabric has the soapless scouring pads put on it, sprayed with vinegar, and wrapped in cling film/plastic wrap. It only takes an hour or two to work. Then the metal is thrown away, and the fabric washed.

 The hard part is finding the soapless scouring pad that isn't treated so it doesn't rust! The other thing to watch out for is not cutting yourself on it when you cut and pull it apart to layer it on the fabric.


3 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for this information Sandy. I've tried doing some with caustic soda and iron chelates, but it's not really 'rusted'. I don't think my iron was the right stuff. I have a roll of steel wool, purchased at a hardware store. I think it's available at hardware stores because people sometimes use it with methylated spirits to get shellac and varnish off old timber furniture. I can't buy it like that at the grocery store, it's soap infused. Just thought the information might help. Happy New Year to you.

Sue Bleiweiss said...

you got beautiful results Sandy.

Gina said...

Your fabrics turned out great! Untreated steel wool sounds like a much a better way to go rather than collecting yet another stash of rusty 'stuff'. Plus the steel wool makes a great filling for pin cushions. Hope I can find some!