TALE OF THE CHALLENGING PIECE
I took a photo of a flower last summer then did the negative in the computer, because I like blue and purple. After printing it on fabric, I didn't like the background, so I put Misty Fuse on it and trimmed out the background. Then it went on a prettier hand dyed fabric. To add interest I laid netting over the top. Once the net was machined in place, I trimmed out the part that wasn't on the flower.
The center is French Knots in 3 Perle Cotton colors. The next area is Straight Stitch by hand in a variegated rayon. Here's where the challenge started. There were two more shapes machined in blue that looked ackward, so I took the stitching out. Then there were visible holes in the background. OK Steam them out. The net melted! OK go for the distrested look. The other areas of net WOULD NOT MELT! OK slash and then melt. Still didn't melt. Final solution. Do some more machining around the edges of the petals and cut the net out. That worked. More hand stitching in a matt silk thread.
It needed the cordless piping before adding the strips to border it. There is Perle cotton couched between the next two strips and regular binding. I really need to keep listening to the work. It is a much more interesting flower now.