Wednesday, July 30, 2014


I'm back to working on circle designs. I was inspired by a segment on Design Matters TV

They cut through pages to reveal what was on the other pages. I decided to see what would happen with the circle cutout. I didn't try to line up things thinking that offsetting things would lead to other designs.

The cutout page needs things that work on both sides. Now I'm thinking that I need to embellish the cutout.

Monday, July 28, 2014


This was a challenge. I took multiple photos of it, but none were clear. This is a scan that turned the black and white bracelet to red!  I used the black/white function in the photo program to change it and decided I'd spent too much time trying to get a good photo.

Making it was also a challenge. The library had a DVD on jewelry that I watched showing how to use memory wire. They made it look easy but warned not to use your regular wire cutter on it as it would nick them. That should have told me that making the loops at the end would be hard.

It was also the first time I used spacers to keep the two rings of beads apart and in place. You have to be sure the beads aren't too big and that they don't end up interfering with each other. It was a learning experience but I'll try it again but not for a while.

Here's the other side with the special beads from my Daughter-in-law.

Friday, July 25, 2014


This needle felted landscape is 8 by 10" and has been sitting around for quite a while. I decided to add stitching to the sky and like it much better. Maybe now I will finish it.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014


I had a damask linen piece that had probably been a tablecloth. Sometime in the past, I spray dyed it. Circles seemed to go with it, so I applied Ultrasuede ones on it thinking that the edges wouldn't fray and nothing would need to be done to them. Wrong. To punch up the design, I hand stitched around them. Leather needles are the way to go with Ultrasuede. The stitching on the linen was much easier.

The detail shows the echo quilting. That seems to be my method for art quilts right now. It's about 40" by 28".

Monday, July 21, 2014

Bead Journal Project

Sorry about the shadow, but this was the best color photo I could get. The latest button for the Bead Journal Project is 1 3/4" across and started with the cabochon in the center.

Friday, July 18, 2014


Here's the latest Charity quilt that will go to the nursing home near us. It's one of the Joe Cummingham designs from his Craftsy class.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014


This is the result of the last exercise in the Stamp Carving class at   By carving away different parts of the design, you can use them in several combination. My registration is challenged, but I like the hand done look.

Monday, July 14, 2014


A friend and I decided to check out a new Wearable Art Gallery in Longview-a small town in Washington. It's one I'll return to. This pendant had been part of a necklace, but the customer just wanted the necklace not the pendant-silly lady-so I got a real bargain on the pendant. It just spoke to me.

Friday, July 11, 2014


A friend is moving to a new, smaller house and gave me lots of her roving. As a Thank you, I made this needlecase. I figure a useful item is a better idea.

It is needlefelted by machine and hand stitched with #3 Perle Cotton. I do love to stitch on felt.

The lining is a batik and fused in place then edge stitched by machine. The pages are flannel cut with a pinking blade in the rotary cutter. Closed it's 5" by 7". I hope she likes it.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014


I took the photo in Hawaii a number of years ago. My photography is for inspiration mostly.

The class assignment was to carve a stamp using nature as inspiration. I like what I did and can see it on fabric and then stitched. Impressed my husband! "You did that" He didn't need to act so surprised.

Monday, July 7, 2014


In the stamp carving class from , we made another book. I used papers that I had painted ages ago. It's nice to actually use up some of that stuff, so I can make more.

Some of the pages are off-centered and folded to fit. It makes a more interesting book.

Friday, July 4, 2014


 This is another piece of Yukata cloth that I embellished. It started out as the front of one of those ethnic shirts that you have to be a contortionist to put on. Why I made that style I'll never know. With the machine embroidery and beading, it was too much work not to restyle into something else.

Here's the detail. It's 20" by 30".

Wednesday, July 2, 2014


Our daughter came to visit for an art day and took these photos of the road into our place.

She wanted to show her friends how out in the woods we really were.

We like it.