Friday, May 31, 2013


I needle felted the flower to a wool background then hand embroidered it. I use a hand needle first when I want things in a particular place and then finish with the machine. On another piece of green, I felted by machine to create an overall greenish leaf type texture. Then I cut out leaf shapes and buttonholed the edges by hand with Perle cotton. They are attached around the piece by using the perle again and a running stitch. Enough of each leaf is on the background, so the leaf is attached.

Now my problem is: Do I just put on a back and rings to hang it or do I attach it to a bigger background? Comments?

Wednesday, May 29, 2013


This is the latest sweater I finished. The pattern was in an old Knit and Style. It is knit from cuff to cuff to create the sleeves and yoke then stitches are picked up to knit the body. The bands and collar are last.

Monday, May 27, 2013


At night if I'm tired of knitting or between projects, I crochet flowers to paint for the crazy quilt pieces. I leave the ends to put to the back of whatever I apply them to. On the red ones instead of using white thread, I used a variegated pink to see what would happen. Some are painted with Colorhue, some with Jo Sonia dyes, and some with Dynaflow. Sorry I can't tell you which. Once they are done and heat set, I can't tell--or remember.

Thanks to everyone who comments.

Friday, May 24, 2013


One time several of us got together and did disperse dye transfer. These are prints using the dye that was left on the leaves. I quilted them and made small pieces. This is one possibility for joining them together.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Rubber Stamps

I had made some stamps from sticky backed fun foam-get it in the children's section of a craft store. It is easy to cut with scissors, rotary cutter, or Exacto knife. Peel the paper backing off and attach to foam core or anything else.
Barbara at has a free video showing how to use it-sorry I lost the direct link. She also uses a needle to texture and change the stamp. I remembered the metal embossing set I have and used two of the wheels to change my stamps to the ones on the left-more interesting.

Monday, May 20, 2013


This isn't quilted yet, but that seems to be the way I work. The leaves were printed on a loose weave cotton blend with fabric paint. The stamps were ones I made from the Styrofoam from take home restaurant containers. It's fun to use what would otherwise be garbage and since it's a free material, if the stamps don't work, just toss them. I drew into the foam with a pen freehand. Just be sure to clean them first, so there's no oil or grease on them.

I stitched the details by hand. I wanted the piecing to be just a little unpredictable, so the extra strips on the end leaves are in different places. Also, the beige on the ends is a narrow folded strip. The green is a batik.

Friday, May 17, 2013


 Now not only did Blogger put it sideways, but my picture program won't change it unless I close this. I used a stencil designed by Margaret Applin and sold by The link is
Here is a detail. I used a sponge and fabric paint to give an irregular look like you would see in nature. I used my hand painted threads to embellish it.
It's not quilted yet. That's the way I seem to work-make a bunch of stitched pieces, make a bunch of hangings, then do quilting for a while.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013


This is a detail of the piece showing the beading in the center and the red metallic thread that I machine couched along the gold kid leather.

The latest Fiberactions challenge was to pick 3 colors from foods you normally prepare. I use lots of bell peppers, so I chose green, red, and yellow. The gold kid leather is the leftovers of a piece I did too many years ago to think about. Why was I saving it? Maybe for this.

Monday, May 13, 2013


This is the third scarf from ruffle yarn. I think the next knit will be a cowl. I knit at night when I'm tired, but the weather has been nice, so I don't want a big piece on my lap.

Friday, May 10, 2013


I did another bracelet on the child's loom I have. I keep thinking of variations and don't know when this series will end.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013


This is the completed second ruffle scarf. It was a different yarn and easier to see where I needed to go in. Normally I throw my yarn but found that this one worked so much better by picking it. Sorry non-knitters but the knitters know what I mean. I needed to hold the working yarn and the needle with the stitches with my left hand as I knit right handed. I can see why people makes lots of them. It's fun to see what happens.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Bead Journal Project

Here is the May Bead Journal Project quilt. The ceramic buttons were made by Sue Bleiweiss / and are very special to me, so I decided to put them on Ultrasuede and use beads around them. The background and binding are batiks. Thank you Sue for the buttons.

Friday, May 3, 2013


I had felted and stitched this small landscape a while ago but didn't know what to do with it. Now that I'm in card making mode, it fit the opening in the card perfectly.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013


A friend and I went to the Meeting of the Guilds sale in Portland and found treasures. Above is mohair roving and nepps. The colors got me.

These are the fused glass pieces for future pieces. I just love fused glass.

These beads were on sale as leftovers and seconds. They look good to me. We did have a fun day.