Monday, January 28, 2013
www.joggles.com has a weekly video on the different products she carries. I always look forward to it.
The one several weeks ago was on using double sided scrapbook papers and folding them to form different types of pockets.
Friday, January 25, 2013
I used to teach Crazy Quilt. Some people wanted to do it by machine, so these blocks were my samples. I finally put them together and used a triple zigzag along the seam lines to quilt it. The fabrics are a complete assortment of whatever I had in the pink range.
The closeup shows a truer color and the machine stitches. Even a basic machine can be used by varying the utility stitches or doing multiple rows of them. It went to the nursing home. I've been told that the lady who received it is a beader and understands what went into it.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Years ago when I went to the big quilt show in Houston, I attended a lecture by Marla Gassner who wrote The Bead and I. I enjoyed her talk so that I bought the book and made the yellow necklace.
Recently I decided to make another and did this green one. It's a great way to feature special beads as accents and also to use up odd beads that you don't have enough of to make a more traditional piece.
It's fun to wear. With my long, skinny neck, I often wrap it around two times. It always gets comments.
Monday, January 21, 2013
Friday, January 18, 2013
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
This time for the Fiberactions-link at right-challenge, we were to use at least 10 colors. Years ago with a partner I had a business marbling fabric for garments to sell in galleries. We marbled rayon and silk mostly. The rayon scraps are in this quilt. I put iron on interfacing behind them then stripped them together rather randomly. When the challenge was posted, these seemed to be a good starting point. I added the vertical bands of blue cotton. The diagonal ones were already in the strips.
Monday, January 14, 2013
Here's the detail of an experiment I tried. I decided to use a Batik and then arrange and couch a satin cord on it to create a scene for the glass cabochon I'd done. The cord was whimpy, so I hand embroidered the chain stitch on each side. Once I'd stitched on the cab and added beads around it, it wasn't important enough, so the lines of beads came next.
It just wanted simple quilting and borders. Now blogger wants me to load photos from Picasa, so I have to move them there before putting them on my blog. Of course, it's sideways! Oh well, life's too short to worry about these things.
Friday, January 11, 2013
I started with a monoprint on a loose weave cotton and added irregular pieces of painted cheesecloth. I had also painted lace and decided to use these motifs. The thread is embroidery floss and Perle cotton that I dyed or painted. The stem and chain stitches seemed to be what the flowers and leaves needed. I kept saving the special thread and decided that the reason I made them was to use them, and when they are gone, I can do more.
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
This year I've decided to feature some of the special pieces that I've collected or that were given to me. I start with a batik with a relatively plain background, so it doesn't interfer with the piece. This one has a fused glass center. I beaded the way you would a cabochon then decided it looked lost on the fabric but didn't want to cut it down, so I added the rays in the blue gray. From two feet away, they didn't show, so I echoed them with the melon-better but still not right. It needed the square melon beads with a blue gray seed bead on each side. It also needed the binding to stop the eye. I must say that it met with the idea that this should be a challenge.
Monday, January 7, 2013
This is the 10th felt book. The button is one I saved from a coat I wore years ago. The felting was done with a thick and thin yarn on a felt base.
The 3 signature covers are paste papers. Paste papers are made from paint that has a thickener added so you can draw into it with tools. It's fun to do.