The friend I marbled fabric with in California taught fabric painting and gave me the fabric.I hand stitched to outline the shapes then machine quilted to echo the lines. It was a relaxing piece to work on and in colors I enjoy.
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
This week's addition to the Journal Quilt Challenge at www.3creativestudios.com Again I used leftover blocks of hand dyed fabrics and did the vine by machine to quilt it.
I'm glad everyone liked the sunprints and thanks to those who commented. It's easy to do with Setacolor Transparent paints but must be the transparent ones.
Monday, July 25, 2011
We actually had sun yesterday in the Pacific NW. I managed to do two sun prints before helping with the deer fence. Today it is raining again.
Living in the woods gives me access to lots of ferns, so I used two types on this piece and Setacolor Transparent paint. It has to be the transparent type to sun print.
The resists on this one are the leaves from a weed. I used one pin in each to hold them in place. There wasn't any wind so that worked. I like the shadows that create different values when the pieces are not totally anchored down.
Thanks to everyone who comments. It's fun to hear from people.
Friday, July 22, 2011
Here's July for the Bead Journal Project. It's been done for a while, but I almost forgot to post it.
I'm doing Journal sized pieces in Crazy Quilting with lace applied and hand stitching the seams before hand beading them. The appliques is one I Painted.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
The button on the right takes you to the Sketchbook Challenge. This is more of a challenge to me as I am one of the people who "can't" draw.
I find that taking a photograph from a magazine and extending the design really is helping me and is fun to do. It's teaching me to "see". I quite like the results.
Monday, July 18, 2011
It was time for the reveal for Fiberactions-see button at side to view the rest of the pieces. Here is a detail of my piece.
The word was Departure, so I used a commercial print which I normally don't do. I also cut up the felted piece after it was hand stitched and beaded. It's faced on the sides and has binding on the top and bottom which is also different.
Friday, July 15, 2011
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Here is my motif again in a small hanging. The machine quilting is wavy rows. The green is commercial fabric; the rest hand dyes. I decided to try the block using pieced strips instead of solid strips. It's something I want to try again.
At night after we've worked on the greenhouse, I'm too tired to do much except sew binding, so I get pieces ready to that point and have them waiting for work days. That way I feel like I at least was able to sew a bit.
The greenhouse will be for wintering over pot plants from the porch, starting cutting of plants, and starting vegetables in the spring. My husband was so frustrated with our wet spring when he couldn't garden. Once the garden finally was growing, the deer managed to get around the 8ft. fence and more or less mowed it. I've gotten some radishes, a handful of broccoli, and a few spinach leaves for salad.
Monday, July 11, 2011
I don't often post something that isn't fiber/art related, but this shows why I didn't get anything else done over the weekend. We are building a greenhouse and are of the school of "We'll do it ourselves without help."
It's a kit that my brother built, and it's holding up well in Montana. Everything snaps together and is pegged. The problem was excess plastic on the window panels that had to be trimmed on all 4 sides.
Friday, July 8, 2011
Here is another journal quilt for the challenge at www.3creativestudios.com It is piece of fabric that I had marbled years ago that became a good opportunity to try quilting with the decorative stitches on the machine. Chenille yarn is zigzagged to the edge. The buttons create a focal point.