Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Monday, January 25, 2010
Here's the second postcard I made with the painted batting for the Technique of the Month at http://www.threecreativestudios.com/ The foil is a peel and stick and is silver holigraphic. It does strange things when it is scanned. I'll be doing one of the demos at our Guild meeting in March and am practicing my Shisha embroidery-my specialty.
In a box of samples I found this needlelace piece that I had done years ago. I've decided to do a wall hanging to feature it. There is no point in not using it-not sure what I was saving it for. It's a fun technique if somewhat labor intensive. You draw a design on brown paper then baste heavy thread to the main lines of the design. The needlelace is done next, finishing with buttonhole stitch over the heavy thread to cover all the starts and stops and create a nice edge. The piece is 4 by 5 inches.
Friday, January 22, 2010
I've been doing the challenges at http://www.threecreativestudios.com/ For the Cue this week, the work was track, so I thought railroad, as DH has an HO model train layout that he's building. For the technique of the month, I made a postcard. It is painted batting with sticky backed foil, shisha, and beads. It's a lot of fun to try these things. I know I've gotten into probably too many, but I'm making up for losing so much time last year.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
This was a fun scarf to knit and is fun to wear. It twists around itself and is done using short rows on one half, knitting across, and doing short rows on the other side.The pattern is from The Three Fold Journal 1 and is from Catherine Nicholls. The Three Fold Journal is a magazine/CD producted by the Kemshalls in England. http://www.thr3foldjournal.com/ It's a fun concept with what amounts to a paperback 52 page book with a CD you use on the computer to access additional information. Videos are embedded in the CD for some of the articles too. Patterns are included for some things. They cover color and design as well as projects such as this scarf. I've enjoyed the magazine. It's sold each issue separately.
Monday, January 18, 2010
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
I've been playing with Electric Quilt again and designing blocks. I like the 4 patch of this one but didn't want to have to match up all those seams. So how about this arrangement.OR this one is another possibility.Another way but still not quite right.I think this one, but I'll make 4 more blocks. The design seems to want to be symetrical. Opinions?
Monday, January 11, 2010
Every Sunday a Cue word is posted on http://www.threecreativestudios.com/ I've joined the challenge and thought that I would just do a design in my sketch book. The first one was East which I pictured as an embellished word. Then suddenly I found I was thinking Orient and the fabrics my DIL sent for Christmas. I used two of them and some black cotton to make the wall hanging. It needed the black piping to divide the center from the very busy, wonky check. Both fabrics are heavier than the usual silk which is why I used cotton with them. I know some people were waiting to see what I would do with the fabrics, so here is the first piece.
Thanks to everyone who commented on the Bead Journal Project. It's been a good group for me. This is the third year and third different type of thing that I am exploring.
Friday, January 8, 2010
I've joined the Bead Journal Project again and am on the 3rd blog http://evenmorebjp3.blogspot.com/ There are so many members that we need 3 blogs! The website is http://www.beadjournalproject.com/ It has all the information on the project and galleries for the first two years.
This piece is about 6 inches square. I've decided that this year the backgrounds would be felted wool with rovings embellished into them. Then I used metallic thread to quilt it and beads to embellish. Each will have a focal object-one of those things that I just had to have but haven't used. This one is Mother of Pearl that just happened to have the hole in it.
Monday, January 4, 2010
I'm a member of http://fiberactions.blogspot.com/ and have been blogging there about the designs I've dicarded in the first challenge.The word we are trying to represent is Initiative. Here is the one I liked best made up into blocks with two of the arrangements I didn't like. This one is OK but not the best.This one is too disorganized for my taste.Here is the finished top. Not much of a change from the first one, but I like the blocks alternated in each row-more interesting.
Thanks to all who commented last Friday. My DIL and her mother are very good at finding great treasures.